Athletes should satisfy the following criteria to be TUE granted as per the International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemption (ISTUE).
- The Athlete would experience a significant impairment to health if the Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method were to be withheld in the course of treating an acute or chronic medical condition.
- The Therapeutic Use of the Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method would produce no additional enhancement of performance other than that which might be anticipated by a return to a state of normal health following the treatment of a legitimate medical condition. The Use of any Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method to increase “low-normal” levels of any endogenous hormone is not considered an acceptable Therapeutic intervention.
- There is no reasonable Therapeutic alternative to the Use of the otherwise Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method.
- The necessity for the Use of the otherwise Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method cannot be a consequence, wholly or in part, of the prior Use, without a TUE, of a substance or method which was prohibited at the time of Use.
Based on these criteria, those national level athletes can apply for the National Anti-Doping Organisation to be TUE granted.
On the other hand, international level athletes may submit their TUE request for International Federations and/or Major Event Organizers.
As per the National Anti-Doping Organisation Rule, National Level Athlete are:
- Any athlete who participates individually or as a team in the international level events and competitions by representing your country ;
- Any athlete included in the national teams of each sport;
- Any athlete who participates in the national competitions and events Organised by the government of your country, National Federations, Universities;
- If any such Athletes are classified by their respective International Federations as International-Level Athletes then they shall be considered International-Level Athletes (and not National-Level Athletes) for the purposes of these Anti-Doping Rules as well.